Radon is a cancer-causing radioactive gas. You cannot see, smell or taste radon, depending on where you live, it may be a problem in your home. The Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States. If you smoke and your home has high radon levels, you’re at high risk for developing lung cancer.
Testing is the only way to know your home’s radon levels. There are no immediate symptoms that will alert you to the presence of radon. It typically takes years of exposure before any problems surface. The US EPA, Surgeon General, American Lung Association, American Medical Association, and National Safety Council recommend testing your home for radon because testing is the only way to know your home’s radon levels.
Radon is a national environmental health problem. Elevated radon levels have been discovered in every state. The US EPA estimates that as many as 8 million homes throughout the country have elevated levels of radon. Current state surveys show that 1 home in 5 has elevated radon levels.